A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Literary QOTW: You Drive Me Crazy

Chris and I have been distracted during the Olympics, so we've been pretty quiet here lately, but here's your question of the week!

What's one book you've read that drives you so crazy or makes you so mad that you want to throw it across the room?

Stefanie says: New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. Let me just say first that I am neither a Twilight hater or a Twihard, but man does New Moon drive me nuts! The whole series has its moments of annoyance, but it comes to a peak in New Moon for me because I just want to smack Bella Swan. She is possibly one of the worst role models for girls in YA lit today. She can't do anything without a guy, and she treats Jacob, who bends over backwards for her, like crap. I couldn't stand the mopeyness of this book, and I think I may have actually thrown this book across the room at some point. Also, the entire part in Italy is just ridiculous, and the Romeo and Juliet comparison gets overused and is really tiresome.

Chris says: A book I want to throw across the room is Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech (or most books by Sharon Creech, for that matter). For an acclaimed "young adult" author, I find her way out of touch with her target audience; on that same note, I don't like that this book is marketed as young adult fiction yet has "ages 8 & up" printed on the cover. While I'm sure there are people who love this book, I found it painful to read.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes us seem bitter. I promise we're not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! He's right. We just thought it'd be fun to talk about what we don't like once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete