A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Literary QOTW: Back to School

Since it's that time of year again, what's your favorite book set in a school?

Stefanie says: I'm going to go with an oldie but a goodie - Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar. This is the first book I remember reading as a kid that literally made me laugh out loud. The hilarious antics of the kids at good ol' Wayside are timelessly funny with a healthy dose of science fiction, and I still recommend this book to kids a lot. Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans and My Weird School fans will enjoy it tremendously. Honorable mention goes to the sequels - Wayside School Is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger...and I suppose Harry Potter too if we're counting wizarding schools because we all know I want to go to Hogwarts.

Chris says: I'm going old school, too.  John Knowles' A Separate Peace dates all the way back to 1959.  I never wanted to go to a prep school, boarding school, or a boys-only school, but for some reason, the idea always made for great books and movies (e.g. Dead Poets Society, The History Boys, The Chocolate War).  I remember reading this one in junior high and immediately reading it again.  I always wanted to have my own secret society at school because it sounded awesome, but the band of misfits I was hanging around at the time probably looked more like a page out of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Honorable mention goes to Looking for Alaska, which also takes place at a boarding school.  (Maybe there's a pattern for a reason!)

No comments:

Post a Comment