A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tsarina by J. Nelle Patrick

Title: Tsarina
Author: J. Nelle Patrick
Pages: 352
Publisher: Razorbill
ISBN: 9781595146939
Publication Date: February 27, 2014
AR Levels: TBD
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18079793-tsarina

In a nutshell: Amid the stirrings of the Bolshevik Revolution, Natalya is falling in love with Tsarevich Alexei Romanov, and he entrusts her with his family's biggest secret, a Faberge egg that protects the royal family. Will it be enough to save their way of life, their future together, and their lives? The fate of her country rests in Natalya's hands, and she can't trust anyone.

I'd recommend it to grades: 8 and up (for mild language and mostly off-screen violence)

I'd recommend it to: fans of the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

What I liked most about this book: This beautifully descriptive historical fantasy captures this period in history like I've never read before. I felt completely transported to Russia in the wake of the Bolshevik Revolution. The ending left a bit to be desired, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What an adventure! And I absolutely want to go to Russia even more now!

Single favorite moment (without getting spoiler-y): The book opens with a gorgeous description of a ball at the Winter Palace. It hooked me instantly; I could hear the music and see the sparkling jewels and shiny dresses. It was magical.

Star rating (where 5 stars is awesome and 0 stars is atrocious): 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment