A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

Let me begin by saying that it's been a long time since I've disliked a book as much as I disliked this one.  It has less than 150 pages (thank goodness), and I almost stopped reading it around page 20.  Usually, I tend to find positive things in most books that I read, but after this one, I got nothin'.  It was WAY too predictable (My hunch from page 5 was extremely close.), I didn't connect with a single character, and there was a lot of product placement and name dropping throughout the book that I found distracting.  Additionally, the plot very closely resembled Hitch with Will Smith (rent that instead).  But. . . That's just my opinion--judge for yourselves.

Title:  What a Boy Wants
Author:  Nyrae Dawn
Pages:  140
Publisher:  Independent
ISBN:  9781475222449
Publication Date:  April 6, 2012
AR Levels:  TBA
Goodreads Link:  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15707111-what-a-boy-wants

In a nutshell:  Sebastian Hawkins--the self proclaimed "Hook-up Doctor"--knows what it takes for girls to land the guy of their dreams, and he shares his expertise anonymously for a fee (so he can save up to buy a car).  Personally, he prefers short-term flings over actual relationships, so falling in love was never on his agenda, especially not with the person he finds himself pining over.  Now that he's head-over-heels in love with this girl, he can't seem to provide good advice for his customers.  Can he make it work without screwing it up? Is there hope for the Hook-up Doctor, or will his own relationship crash and burn?

I'd recommend it for grades:  I have a hard time recommending this book to anyone, but due to the more adult language and content, I would definitely say this book should be reserved for grades 9-12.

I'd recommend it to: Middle-aged adult women who enjoy reading teen fiction. This book was written for them in my opinion.

What I liked most about this book:  The character names; those were at least original or uncommon.

Single favorite moment (without getting spoiler-y):  At one point, the main character quotes Borat and then refers to it as a classic, even though it came out when he was in elementary school.  Yeah, it definitely came out in 2006.

Star rating (where 5 stars is amazing and 0 stars is atrocious):  I'll give it 2 stars.  I'm sure there are people out there who will like this book, but I'm not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment