A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Literary QOTW: A Pirate's Life for Me!

If you could add pirates to the plot of any YA novel, which one would you choose and how would you integrate the pirates into the plot?

Chris says: If I could add pirates to any young adult novel, I'd add them to Inkheart. Particularly, I think Captain James Hook and crew should at least make an appearance since Meggie reads Tinkerbell out of the book Peter Pan. I may be a little biased, though, since Peter Pan is one of my all-time favorite books. How would I work them in? When Meggie reads out Tinkerbell, she would also read out a band of pirates who are angered by leaving Neverland. Captain Hook is drawn in by Capricorn to aid in bringing out the Shadow; the other pirates, however, just want to be read back into their book, so they work with Elinor to help stop Capricorn.

Stefanie says: I would add pirates to Scott O'Dell's Newbery classic Island of the Blue Dolphins because as beautiful as the writing is, it gets pretty dull at points. Poor Karana doesn't deserve to spend her days sad and alone on a desert island. If pirates attacked her island, I'm sure she'd put up a fight at first, but the pirates would respect her impressive combat and survival skills and make her their exotic queen. Then she could live out the rest of her life sailing the seven seas and seeing the world instead of being stuck on a boring island.

No comments:

Post a Comment