A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 452
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
ISBN: 9780312642969
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
AR Levels: Book Level - 5.8, Interest Level - 6th and up, Points: 16.0
Goodreads Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13206760-scarlet

In a nutshell: Scarlet Benoit's grandmother has been missing for far too long, so she takes matters into her own hands, and with the help of street fighter, Wolf, she goes in search of her. Her investigation will not only uncover her grandmother's secrets but also Wolf's, and along the way she meets a girl on the run who may just be the key to the whole mystery.

I'd recommend it for grades: 9 and up

I'd recommend it to: fairy tale fans, sci-fi lovers, and adrenaline junkies (this one moves fast!)

What I liked most about this book: This is the complete polar opposite of a sophomore slump if I ever read one. Wow! It's definitely better than the first one, Cinder, which I loved! (Go back and read it first if you haven't yet!) There's just something about the blending of fairy tale and science fiction in this series that is completely unique and impossible to put down. This second book is a perfect mix of fast-paced action and deep characterization. I worried with this one that the introduction of so many new characters would take away from the first book's characters, but the expansion only adds flavor to the universe of the series. I am beyond stoked about the third and fourth books! I read the sneak peek of the first chapter of Cress, book three, and it's amazing. I can't wait to see what Meyer does with the Rapunzel adaptation.

Single favorite moment (without getting spoiler-y): I've always seen the traditional Little Red Riding Hood as a bit of a naive, silly pushover, but in the opening chapters of this book, it's clear that Scarlet is going to be a firecracker of a second female protagonist for the series. She's a force to be reckoned with, and after reading the first few chapters, I knew she would be my favorite character in the series thus far. Wolf isn't so bad either. ;)

Star rating (where 5 stars is awesome and 0 stars is atrocious): 5 stars!     

No comments:

Post a Comment