A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Friday, June 21, 2013

Luminescence by Who Mee

This is an interesting review to write.  The author is 16 and requested that we review her book.  I'll be honest:  I didn't have high expectations for the book.  My mistake!  This one had me hooked by Page 10 and the character development was amazing.  The main character's relationship with her band-of-misfits friends reminded me of Wendy and The Lost Boys in Peter Pan (my favorite book).  The author has done a great job at weaving together life in the Caribbean, drug smuggling, zombies, voodoo, and teen angst.


Title:  Luminescence
Author:  Who Mee
Pages: Available only as an eBook (the PDF form is 213 pages)
Publisher:  Smashwords
ISBN:  9781301861187
Publication Date:  June 7, 2013
AR Levels: N/A
Goodreads link:  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18078102-luminescence

In a nutshell:  Nyx is a teenage girl who moves with her family to the Caribbean.  There, she meets a group of boys who are pretty much raising themselves.  Tourists on the island are disappearing and the boys know the secret and have been secretly fighting the forces behind it.  Additionally, Nyx learns about the history her family has with this island and how what happened in the past is affecting her future.  Can she help the boys stop what's happening? Or will she even survive the evil that jeopardizes her, her family, and her friends?

I'd recommend it for grades:  7th and up.  Mild language and violence

I'd recommend it to:  Anyone who loves a good adventure.  If you're a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Indiana Jones, Peter Pan, or any others like these, this book is for you!!

What I like most about this book:  The character development was wonderful!  I actually cared about these characters and knew their stories.

Single favorite moment (Without getting spoiler-y):  At one point, the boys are in a prank war and one character references Peter Pan, referring to not growing up.  I'm a sucker for a well-placed reference to my favorite book.

Star rating (Where 5 stars is awesome and 0 stars is atrocious):  4 stars; If I could give 4 1/2 stars, I would!  



No comments:

Post a Comment