A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

A Guy, a Girl, and a Teen Book Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

Title: A Tale Dark and Grimm
Author: Adam Gidwitz
Pages:252
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
ISBN: 9780525423348
Publication Date: October 28, 2010
AR Levels: Interest Level: 4th-8th, Book Level: 4.6, Points: 6.0 

In a Nutshell: Gidwitz tells the story of Hansel and Gretel as you've never heard it before. Our daring duo still encounters the old cannibal lady in the forest, but there's much more to tell before and after that happened! Along the way, they encounter a dragon, an evil warlock, and even the Devil himself on their journey to discover their destiny. This little book packs some punch, and these aren't your grandma's fairy tales! I can almost guarantee you this one is making its way around backpacks in your elementary school or middle school. Kids love this book at my library, and we can't keep it on the shelves.

I'd Recommend It for Grades: 3-6 (and maybe older if they really like fairy tales...I mean I LOVED it, and I'm "ever so much more than twenty" to quote J.M. Barrie)

I'd Recommend It To: kids who love fairy tales, kids who like books that make you laugh, kids who like to be grossed out, teachers who want a fresh spin on Grimm tales

What I Liked Most about This Book: The hilarious narrator is constantly interrupting with clever asides, and I found myself literally laughing out loud. It will have kids in stitches. I also enjoyed how true it rang to the feel of the original Grimm tales. In true Grimm Brothers fashion, it does get a bit gory at times but in a really funny way mostly. There is some death and regeneration and chopping off of things, but again this is Grimm, so it's to be expected. I don't think it will give kids nightmares or anything, but if you have squeamish kids, maybe this one's not for them.

Single Favorite Moment (without getting spoiler-y): The narrator is always breaking the fourth wall and asking in an aside if all the little kids are out of the room because he's about to tell a really scary part. It makes you feel like he's in the room with you, and for this reason it would make a great read-aloud for bedtimes, book talks, or classroom discussions.   

Star Rating (where 5 stars is awesome and 0 stars is atrocious): A well-deserved 5 stars

*Plus, I just found out that the sequel is coming out in September!!! Check out In a Glass Grimmly, which will feature Jack and Jill, here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13513080-in-a-glass-grimmly 

No comments:

Post a Comment